Sunday, July 19, 2009

Naamah's Kiss

Author: Jacqueline Carey
Hardcover: 656 pages
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing (June 24, 2009)
ISBN-10: 044619803X

Brief Description:
"Moirin has a secret.... From childhood onward, she senses the presence of unfamiliar gods in her life--the bright lady and the man with a seedling cupped in his palm. Raised in the wilderness by her reclusive mother, Moirin learns only when she comes of age how illustrious, if mixed, her heritage is......"

First, let me disclose the fact that I have not read the other books in this series, which puts me at a terrible disadvantage. When I began to read this book, I was immediately confused by Moirin’s complicated heritage, her lifestyle, and the history of her people. I felt as if I was reading a foreign language.

I will say, though, the author has a unique writing style and great creativity. Even though I wish I had more background from reading her earlier books, I did appreciate her interesting characters and imaginative story-line.

My advice, to anyone who is just becoming familiar with the series, is to start with the first book and continue forward from there. Although, this one could be called an interesting read, I feel it is best to start fresh from the very start. It will certainly be less confusing and much more enjoyable in the long-run.


(Thank you to Hachette Book Group for my review copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment